Skip to main content

Food Truck Project

This project is the best!!!!!!!!!!!

There have been a few Food Truck Projects on Facebook lately, and I wanted to get in on the fun.

I am not a teacher that likes to re-invent the wheel.

I just like to expand on it.

So, I went searching for a food truck project that was already created, and I found a really good one on UEN (Utah Education Network).  They have the worksheets and car pdf!!

I reworded the project to fit my needs.

My project had two rounds.

Round 1: Individual Challenge:

The students designed their own food truck. 

They had to name it, color it, and come up with a menu that they would serve and prices (they had to pick one item to be their signature product). 


Each student had to write a sales pitch that they would present to the class about their food truck and their signature product. 


In order of lab groups, each student presented and the class voted on the best product and presentation of each lab group. 


The winning food truck would be the recipe that we made in the Food Truck Lab.

*Stress to your students that when they vote they are wanting each lab group to be successful. They need to vote so that each lab group is going to create the best product. They need to pick a product that will bring the group success.

Round 2: Group Challenge
Students were challenged to create their food product and serve their food product to 3 guest judges. 

They also had to introduce themselves and explain their product to the judges.

Judges rated student on taste and presentation. 
(Use a basic taste and presentation rubric you can find those online)


Deep Fried Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Buffalo wings and Honey BBQ



Deep Fried Oreos (Birthday Cake, Regular and Peanut Butter)

Not Pictured (Deep Fried Grill Cheese) They were to die!!!! for I just forgot to take a picture :(

* The big thing for me is, I just did not do this project to fill time. I make every project like this fit my need. In my upper division culinary class students are studying cooking methods. All the foods that we created in this Food Truck Project had to be Deep Fried (Dry Cooking Method)

* I set a table for the judges, and the students also got to practice table serving skills.

* Also, sell it!!!!!!!!!!One presentation day, I got up and pretended to be the host of the Food Truck Race  tv show.  I introduced each student and each group in a funny way.

The students laughed and had a great time.

*Make a big deal about their work.

Learning and have fun is what it is all about.

Be part of the learning do not just observe.

It will make all the difference!!

You make the choice about how cool the lab will be.

Good Luck!!!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yeast Bread Mixing Methods

Yeast Bread Mixing Methods Straight Dough Method is a one step mixing method in which all the dry ingredients such as flour, sugar, salt and yeast are mixed, and then wet ingredients such water and eggs are added. All the ingredients are then mixed straight to dough. It is the easiest of all yeast bread mixing methods. Sponge and dough is a two-step bread mixing process. The first step in this method is making the sponge which consists of a certain amount of flour, yeast and water. This mixture is allowed to ferment. The second step is adding the sponge to the rest of the ingredients to form the final dough. Old Dough Leavening aka Mother Dough or Preferments is exactly what it sounds like, a piece dough from a previous batch of dough is held back and used to help leaven the new loaf. This type of leavening with give more complex flavors because the old dough has been developing stronger fermenting flavors. Sourdough (Preferment) is a “natural leavener” it is made

First Day of School!!!!

I am so excited to begin school tomorrow!!!!!!!! I decided to have this showing as students walked in the door to get them excited for what they will be able to accomplish this semester :) Lets look back at last year: I have been planning most of the day today trying to get my lessons planned for the nine weeks. I like to start the year with an idea of where I want to go, however;  the most important day of school is the first. It sets the mood for the entire school year. So here we go.... its M arvelous to M eet you I ways start the year with an ice breaker :) Then I teach a little bit about me :) with an intro to the teacher PPT.  Students learn more from someone they know.....and form a relationship with. Remind formally Remind101 is a group texting for the classroom. It helps me remind my students about assignments, projects or club meetings. It also allows students to ask m

Kneading!!!

Kneading Techniques “Working the Dough” Kneading is one of the most known terms in baking, but do you really understand its importance.  Could you recognize if you have a well kneaded product? Do you know the different kneading techniques? Do you know how to test if you have kneaded well enough? When I set out to create my lesson plans over baking, I could answer a few of those questions listed above. I had an idea about what I was looking for, but I did not know half of the information that I kneaded to know. So as I researched, I found information that I think all teachers, students, and aspiring bakers need to know.  Why Knead Kneading develops a gluten network (net) As flour is hydrated gluten strengthens and adds to the structure of the dough. Gluten helps to bind the dough together and helps it keep from falling apart during baking Gluten creates a net in the bread product that captures carbon dioxide produced by yeast. Kneadin