Skip to main content

Large Group Catering

I LIKE to spend money on my student's lab experiences, BUT STUDENTS DO NOT LIKE TO PAY LAB FEES.

So the way that I make up for the lack of student generated funds is catering.

I make hundreds-to-thousands of dollars in just one day!

If you can cook for 20 you can cook for hundreds, so don't be afraid. 

Last Friday we had a meal for 45 and on Sunday afternoon we cooked for 160.

 YES, I do work the weekends sometimes, but it is WORTH IT for my STUDENTS. 

Our menu was simple:

Chicken Cordon Bleu
Sweet Green Beans
Mashed Potatoes
Rolls
Carmel Pecan Pie
Fudge Pie
Fruit Tea and Lemonade. 

Purchasing:

The first thing that I do when I am cooking for such a large group is write the grocery list.

The list and grocery shopping are considered the most difficult and time consuming to me. * 

 I use the  Ellen's Kitchen Blog to ease the difficulty of starting my grocery lists!
 Her blog provides insight on cooking for up to 100 guests, I then use that information to purchase what I need.

I shop at three main stores; IWC (Local Restaurant Supply Store), SAM'S Club and Walmart. I am always searching for the best deal, Walmart will price match on tax exempt.  

I have a first block to plan for so I try to be in SAMS 7am and done shopping by 8:30 am. I am typically in the school building by 8:45 am. I have found that 1st block is the best time to plan because stores are basically empty and there are no lines to wait on in the morning.

 Sometimes, I have to go to all three stores; so I get to the store around 6 am.

When shopping I may or may not buy my non-perishable goods ahead of time, for new caterers, if you can focus on one event go ahead and buy your non-perishables ahead of time to avoid stress.

However, my fruit and produce I only purchase the day of or 1-2 days in advance, my  reason for this is the produce spoils easily and I want to make sure that I am providing a fresh product.

Here is a food Quality Chart. 

WHEN CALCULATING YOUR RECIPES REMEMBER NEW/OLD WILL GIVE YOU THE FACTOR YOU WILL NEED TO USE TO CHANGE THE YEILD OF YOUR RECIPES.

Prepping:
Prepping is done completely by my students!!!

The organization of items that are prepped is by me. (Remember that you are the Chef, and your students are the Commis. They learn through your experience)

I break food prepping up by classes, and make sure that each class can participate.
 *****Make sure that you demonstrate your expectations to your students about food products! If you fail to do this they will put out what ever they want.

You will need to monitor all student work. You will feel like your are running around like a chicken with its head cut off, but it is necessary. They are high school students and are easily distracted.  

You can prep most of your food the day before and reheat it. For example; mashed potatoes, green beans and carrots that you blanch. ******* The biggest exception to the rule is the protein entree and bread. I do not always precook items, but when I have a large number of people and am going to be going off campus I do.

FOOD SAFETY INFORMATION 

Cooking and Serving

DON'T COOK TOO SOON AND LET ALL YOUR FOOD GET OVER COOKED!!!!!!!!

My first large serving event that I ever attempted with students was for 300 (I was stupid). I had never prepped or cooked for that many on my own and cooked the food way too soon. I did not understand how food held, which food held the best, or how how long you should hold food. So needless to say my food SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After that catastrophe I vowed that would never happen again.

My rule of thumb, is to NEVER hold food more than two hours before an event.  Holding to that is really hard with limited oven and cooktop space. Going back to the menu that I described above, this is the order I would place food in the oven.

*Pies would have been done in a day or two in advance.
*I make fresh rolls if I am preparing food on campus.

1. Reheat Potato's (They will basically hold for forever just keep them will covered)
2. Chicken Cordon Bleu (Make sure the chicken reaches a minimum internal temperature of 165 F)
3. Greet Beans (Just reheat do not over cook or they will shrivel)
4. Rolls (If I was making fresh rolls I would cook these first, but for heat and serve you can do at the very last possible second)

COOKING WILL ALL DEPEND ON WHAT EQUIPMENT THAT YOU HAVE AVAILABLE IN YOUR KITCHEN AND IS A LOT OF TRIAL AND ERROR.

DO NOT LET A FAILURE STOP YOU FROM CATERING. YOU WILL NEVER BE PERFECT JUST MAKE A LIST AND CORRECT IT THE NEXT TIME!!! YOU WILL BE AWESOME.

Depending on what type of service you want their will be different serving rules.  I will do a separate post for buffet and plate serve set up and ideas for your students.

Make sure that if you are going off sight that you pack an emergency kit.
This will help you with those unexpected situations.

Emergency Kit:
1. Extra Serving Utensils
2. To go containers clear
3. Paper Towels
4. Tea Towels
5. Plastic Wrap
6. Half Size Aluminum Foil
7.Cutting Board
8. Knife
9. Sterno's
10. Lighter
11. Gloves










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yeast Bread Mixing Methods

Yeast Bread Mixing Methods Straight Dough Method is a one step mixing method in which all the dry ingredients such as flour, sugar, salt and yeast are mixed, and then wet ingredients such water and eggs are added. All the ingredients are then mixed straight to dough. It is the easiest of all yeast bread mixing methods. Sponge and dough is a two-step bread mixing process. The first step in this method is making the sponge which consists of a certain amount of flour, yeast and water. This mixture is allowed to ferment. The second step is adding the sponge to the rest of the ingredients to form the final dough. Old Dough Leavening aka Mother Dough or Preferments is exactly what it sounds like, a piece dough from a previous batch of dough is held back and used to help leaven the new loaf. This type of leavening with give more complex flavors because the old dough has been developing stronger fermenting flavors. Sourdough (Preferment) is a “natural leavener” it is made

First Day of School!!!!

I am so excited to begin school tomorrow!!!!!!!! I decided to have this showing as students walked in the door to get them excited for what they will be able to accomplish this semester :) Lets look back at last year: I have been planning most of the day today trying to get my lessons planned for the nine weeks. I like to start the year with an idea of where I want to go, however;  the most important day of school is the first. It sets the mood for the entire school year. So here we go.... its M arvelous to M eet you I ways start the year with an ice breaker :) Then I teach a little bit about me :) with an intro to the teacher PPT.  Students learn more from someone they know.....and form a relationship with. Remind formally Remind101 is a group texting for the classroom. It helps me remind my students about assignments, projects or club meetings. It also allows students to ask m

Kneading!!!

Kneading Techniques “Working the Dough” Kneading is one of the most known terms in baking, but do you really understand its importance.  Could you recognize if you have a well kneaded product? Do you know the different kneading techniques? Do you know how to test if you have kneaded well enough? When I set out to create my lesson plans over baking, I could answer a few of those questions listed above. I had an idea about what I was looking for, but I did not know half of the information that I kneaded to know. So as I researched, I found information that I think all teachers, students, and aspiring bakers need to know.  Why Knead Kneading develops a gluten network (net) As flour is hydrated gluten strengthens and adds to the structure of the dough. Gluten helps to bind the dough together and helps it keep from falling apart during baking Gluten creates a net in the bread product that captures carbon dioxide produced by yeast. Kneadin